Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"Have Patience"

When my daughter was growing up, we listened to lots and lots of children’s Christian songs. We kept lots of cassette tapes with us and played them every time we got in the car. When I was a children’s pastor, I listened to lots more children’s Christian music. Many of these songs have stuck with me- just like the songs I learned in church when I was a little girl.
There is one of those songs that I learned when my daughter was little that the Lord uses when I catch myself becoming impatient. Each time I am, I can hear it “singing” in my thoughts. “Have patience, have patience, don’t be in such a hurry. When you get impatient, you only start to worry. Remember, remember, that God is patient too… and think of all the times when others had to wait for you.”

He uses this little song to convict me of my impatience, and remind me to be patient. He is so patient with me. I am to be patient with others. When I am, I reflect His nature and character… and He is glorified… and my peace is restored. I am so glad that God uses “foolish” things– even a children’s song– to help develop His likeness in me. “But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty.” (1 Corinthians 1:27) “But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.” (1 Timothy 6:11)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lorraine,
    I was searching online trying to possibly find the music you refer to about “having patience” and was led to your site.
    I too had it, on an LP, many years ago when my children were little. I sometimes too think of the papa turtle admonishing his son with those lyrics about having patience. That was such a great album.
    Now having grandkids, I would like to have that music to share with them. Do you recall the name of the album or group that made that music? It would be nice if it is still available today, perhaps on CD.
    Sincerely,
    'tino
    emleigh@cox.net

    ReplyDelete